O2 Media “charge to mobile” gathers pace
Mobile payments are on the rise for Irish consumers! There has been over 60% growth month on month since O2 launched the Google Play 'Charge to Mobile' service late last year, demonstrating strong pick up and a desire among consumers to use their mobile to make quick and convenient payments. Through the service, O2 customers can purchase Apps, games, e-books and music from Google Play and charge it to their O2 mobile phone. For contract customers the amount charged will appear on their monthly bill, while prepay customers will see it taken from their phone credit. Previously O2 customers only had the option of buying Google Play content using a credit card.
On Google Play customers can choose from over a million apps and games, browse the world’s largest eBookstore and discover millions of songs. Globally there have been over 50 billion downloads from Google Play.
Fintan Lonergan, Managing Director of O2 Media said: “Mobile devices and smartphones in particular are now at the centre of our daily lives. People are increasingly accessing the internet and shopping online via their smartphones. By turning on “Charge to Mobile” with Google Play it’s now much easier for O2 customers to access and pay for the content they want. They can make purchases without the need for a credit card thereby also avoiding additional charges or handling fees”.
How to enable O2 billing on Google Play:
· Open Google Play on your Android handset & select the paid content you want to purchase.
· Tap the PRICE to buy it and accept the App Permissions.
· Select “enable O2 billing”. If you’ve previously registered a credit card with Google Play, tap the Green down arrow beside the price.
· Enter the required information (only needed once at registration) and accept the T&Cs.
· Enter & Confirm your Google Password and your content will download.
To date O2 Media has enabled “Charge to Mobile” with over 100 merchants including Google Play, Donedeal.ie, Easytrip Tolls, Xbox credits, Facebook, EA Games, Blackberry App World, etc. Over 200,000 O2 customers use Charge to Mobile to buy goods and services.